Preparing Your HVAC and Plumbing for Cooler Temperatures
Autumn has officially arrived and it’s time to prepare your home’s HVAC and plumbing systems for cooler weather. There are a few things you can do to make sure your home stays in tip-top shape throughout the autumn and winter months.
Prepare Your HVAC System for Fall
- Check Your Air Filters. Your home’s AC and furnace filters typically need to be changed every 3 months or so. A fresh filter will help your system run better and it’ll ensure you’re breathing clean air all year long.
- Check for Leaks. We also suggest you check your windows and doors for leaks. If you locate any, make sure they are sealed before winter sets in. Also, have an HVAC professional check your ductwork to make sure any leaks are sealed as well.
- Adjust the Thermostat. Autumn is a great time to adjust your thermostat to be a few degrees cooler than the summer months. This will save you money and help your family adjust to cooler temperatures.
- Examine Outdoor Components. It’s also important to make sure your HVAC system isn’t bogged down or obstructed by debris. Clean the outdoor components at the beginning of the fall and check it regularly to ensure it remains unobstructed.
- Have Your System Inspected. After performing the tasks above, it’s always a good idea to have an HVAC professional inspect and service your system. We can make sure your heater is ready to handle cooler weather.
Prepare Your Plumbing for Fall
- Look for Clogs. When autumn fully sets in, it can wreak havoc on your gutters and drainpipes. We suggest you clean out your drainpipes and gutters at the beginning of autumn and check them with regularity.
- Look for Leaks. It’s best to look for and fix any water line leaks before winter arrives. No one wants to deal with a frozen, busted pipe.
- Maintain Your Water Heater. We also recommend having routine maintenance performed on your water heater. This will help make sure you won’t have to go a single day without hot water in your home.
Preparing your HVAC and Plumbing for Cooler Weather – Call Dunn’s Today
Call the professionals at Dunn’s Heating, Cooling & Plumbing today. We can perform a complete HVAC and plumbing inspection and fix small issues before they become larger ones. Let us help you stay nice and warm all throughout the fall and winter. Call today!